Why has the event flipped entirely Twilight Your Way?
Due to the recent extension of government restrictions and an increase in local cases, we’ve taken the truly difficult decision to flip Twilight with a Twist from a joint live and ‘remote’ event to a fully ‘remote’ event. This means that this year’s Twilight Walk will still go ahead for its 15th anniversary but with our walkers now walking a route of their choice, in the location of their choice, on Saturday 10th July.
We know how much many of our Twilighters were looking forward to being together in Exmouth – and we were so excited to see you all! But it’s absolutely essential to us that our brilliant walkers, staff and volunteers remain safe in light of uncertainty about the Delta variant; it is also the most sensible decision financially for the charity.
Please be assured that we will absolutely still bring the glitter of the Twilight experience to all our walkers! Twilight T-shirts and medals will wing their way through the post, we’ll be reaching out to all our walkers to kick your walk off in style and the after-party will be broadcast into living rooms and onto mobile phones when your walk is done. And of course, it’s all in aid of an amazing cause!
Thank you so much for your understanding and all your support – we hope you’ll love Twilight Your Way. Hospiscare is facing a deficit of over £1.5m due to the ongoing impact on our finances so your support is vital to ensure we can keep caring for people living with terminal illnesses. We simply couldn’t do what we do without you – thank you.
If I had a Twilight Live event place what are my options?
We really hope that you’ll choose to switch to Twilight Your Way to help us celebrate our 15th anniversary in style and raise vital funds for Hospiscare. However all your options are:
- Switch to Twilight Your Way: Unless we hear from you before Friday 2 July we will automatically switch you to the Twilight Your Way event.
- Cancel your Twilight place but choose to donate your entry fee to Hospiscare: Please email us on email@example.com or call us on 01392 688020 no later than Friday 2 July
- Cancel your Twilight place and request a refund: Please call us on 01392 688020 no later than Friday 2 July
What are the timings for Twilight with a Twist?
You can walk at any time on Saturday 10 July, however the Twilight Walk has traditionally been in the afternoon and evening to enjoy the setting sun!
Besides my Twilight t-shirt, what should I wear?
First and foremost a good pair of walking shoes or boots is essential (waterproof would be even better). Comfortable bottoms are also important; shorts, leggings or trousers – whatever works for you and is suitable for the weather that day. The weather can be really unpredictable even in the British summer so wearing something versatile or layers are a good idea, especially as it gets cooler in the evening. The dress code for this year’s event is glitter and sparkle, so get ready to out-shine the stars!
What should I take on my Twilight Walk?
We suggest you take:
- Ahydrating drink such as water
- Your mobile phone
- A torch or light (parts of the cycle path aren’t lit)
- A portable phone charger if you have one
- A face mask
- Hand sanitiser
- Any snacks you might want to eat on the route
How far and where shall I walk?
You can walk any distance you like as well as in any location you like, as long as it’s within current government guidelines. We suggest you plan your walk location and route in advance and consider the following:
- Walk a route that is a safe and sensible distance for you and appropriate to your fitness level
- Plan to walk a route that is open to the public, easily accessible and well-lit
- Ideally do not walk alone
- Carry a mobile phone in case of emergency
- Only walk in appropriate weather (avoid rain and hot temperatures) and wear appropriate clothing and footwear
- Take a hydrating drink on your walk and avoid alcohol consumption
- Be respectful of social distancing at all times
When does registration for Twilight with a Twist close?
Registrations will close on Sunday 4 July so we can be sure of getting your walker kit posted to you in time for your Twilight.
How will the Twilight Strava Club work?
Strava is a free activity tracking app, so you record your Twilight Walk on the app as well as share it in the Twilight Walk Strava Club.
- How to download Strava on your smart phone:
- Apple: go to the App Store search Strava and download.
- Android: go to Play Store search Strava and download.
- Sign up with either your email address or Facebook account.
- Join the Twilight Walk Strava Club: Once you’ve signed up to Twilight Walk you’ll receive a confirmation email which contains a hyperlink to the Twilight Walk Strava Club. If you have the App this will direct you to the Twilight Walk Strava Club, if you don’t already have the App this will direct you to the App Store or Play Store to download the App.
- Connecting Strava and JustGiving: Strava and JustGiving work well together, your activity on Strava will automatically update on your JustGiving page to keep your supporters up to date on any walks you log. See this tutorial for how to set this up.
- We will also be awarding a prize for the best Strava GPS drawing so you can get creative with your route planning!
- Some common Strava troubleshooting:
Why aren’t my activities counting towards club leader board
Activity privacy controls
How to upload manual activity (if something went wrong whilst out)
How to link Garmin and Strava
- Don’t worry if you’re not tech savvy at all. Let us know your route and send us some pictures from the day and we’ll add you to our list of fantastic Twilight Walk finishers!
What are the latest government regulations for COVID-19 and how can I make sure I’m COVID-compliant?
It’s essential that all our Twilight with a Twist walkers observe current government guidelines. Please familiarise yourself with the latest guidelines by visiting the government website at https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Do I need to raise sponsorship money?
Your entry fee only covers the cost of the event, so we ask each participant to raise sponsorship money or donate £50. Your fundraising or donation will make a huge difference to the lives of our patients and their families, for example £51 could fund a home visit from one of our specialist community nurses. We currently need your support more than ever.
To set up a JustGiving fundraising page please click here.
How do I set up an online fundraising page?
The easiest way to get started with your fundraising is to set up a JustGiving page and share it with your friends and family on social media! Don’t worry if you haven’t done this before, we’ve already done some of the work for you! Just click here to set up your page.
Can I Gift Aid my sponsorship?
You can ask each person who sponsors you to Gift Aid their donation by asking them to tick the Gift Aid box on the sponsorship form or tick the relevant section on JustGiving. Any personal donations are eligible for Gift Aid as long as they’ve filled in their home (not work) address and postcode, otherwise we won’t be able to claim Gift Aid. If people are donating to your JustGiving page the option to Gift Aid will appear during the donation process.
How should I pay in my sponsorship?
Fundraising online via JustGiving (or other platforms) is really easy to do and the good news is that they automatically send us the money you’ve raised. If you’re fundraising offline and would like to pay in sponsorship money you can either: head to https://www.hospiscare.co.uk/donate/ and select ‘I have taken part in a sponsored event’ and write Twilight Walk in the box or send a cheque payable to Hospiscare to Hospiscare, Searle House, Dryden Road, Exeter, EX2 5JJ along with your sponsorship form. Thank you!
How old do I need to be to take part in Twilight Walk?
Entry to the Twilight Walk is open to entrants aged 12 and over. An adult guardian must accompany each entrant aged under 16 for the duration of the walk and we must have a signed parental consent form filled in by each under 18’s legal parent or guardian.
What size are the Twilight Walk t-shirts?
|Sizes||Width (cm)||Length (cm)||Sleeve Centre Back (cm)|